How influencers are shaping popular culture with Vik Khagram of BCW
November 11, 2020
Episode 11 of the Influencer Marketing Lab - a weekly podcast tracking the growth spurts and growing pains of influencer marketing.
This podcast is sponsored by Tagger the data-driven influencer marketing platform and social listening tool.
This week Scott Guthrie is in conversation with Vik Khagram an Influencer Specialist at WPP-owned Burson Cohn & Wolfe (BCW).
In this episode we discuss:
- BWC's broader view of influencers - those influential people including doctors, politicians and CEOs who sit alongside social-first Instagram famous to effect change
- How influencer marketing toolkits can assist joined-up thinking required to span global geographic regions
- How the rate of change is both a challenge as well as an opportunity for the influencer marketing industry
- The importance of looking at an influencer's negative press as part of the vetting process
- The importance of human insight combined with first-party data to make better decisions
- Influencers as storytellers not as human billboards
- The shift to working with influencers at the consideration phase of the sales funnel
- How influencers are shaping popular culture
- Why brands are thinking about not just who can I sell to but also who can I help and how
- How to measure ROI
- Working with the client to set clear campaign objectives and KPIs
- How influencer marketing platforms have caused a Tinder-isation of the discipline
- The rise of influencer unions
- Importance of having a critical view when reading about the industry
👍Check out the Influencer Marketing Lab for full show notes, related useful links and a transcript.
🆕 Don't forget to sign up for the companion newsletter The Creator Briefing ( https://www.creatorbriefing.com/ ) - the weekly newsletter from Scott Guthrie which provides a breakdown of all the major news from the creator marketing industry alongside his insight and analysis.
Introduction to Vik Khagram
Brief day-in-the-life as an influencer strategist at BCW
How influencer marketing toolkits work
Challenges in inherent within the influencer marketing industry
The BCW vetting process for selecting the most appropriate influencer
the importance of combining human insight with data
The power of emotive, authentic storytelling
The commercial benefits of long-term brand collaborations
Different use cases of influencer marketing
Importance of co-creation in content
Influencer marketing trends
How influencer marketing can professionalise