The Influencer Marketing Lab
Chris Stokel-Walker discusses his new book: TikTok Boom
July 22, 2021
Episode 33 of the Influencer Marketing Lab - a weekly podcast tracking the growth spurts and growing pains of influencer marketing.
This podcast is sponsored by Tagger the data-driven influencer marketing platform and social listening tool.
This week Scott Guthrie is in conversation with Chris Stokel-Walker, technology journalist and author of TikTok Boom: China’s Dynamite App and the Superpower Race for Social Media - which is published today - provided, of course, you're listening to this podcast on upload day 22 July 2021.
In this episode we:
- Compare TikTok's disruption of the social media space with that of Apple's disruption of the smartphone industry when it launched the iPhone back in 2007.
- Talk algorithms pitting TikTok's ‘content graph’, against the industry-pervasive ‘social graph'
- Ask whether TikTok's headline sponsorship of this year's Vidcon signifies anything greater than just switching up lanyard colours for conference goers
- Consider TikTok as a music discovery channel
- Talk TikTok and geopolitics
- I ask Chris if he still has a downer on influencer marketing
Check out the Influencer Marketing Lab website for full show notes and related useful links.